Programs at PMA that address this Domain
- Individual Counseling
- Group Counseling – Counselor leads small group sessions to assist students in specific academic skills. Topics vary year to year based on need.
- Classroom Lessons – Counselor and teachers deliver classroom lessons throughout the year to assist students in developing academic skills. Topics vary year to year based on need.
- Building Intervention Team – Teachers meet with administration, school counselor, school psychologist and school interventionist to discuss student concerns. Ideas for interventions to be implemented are shared to support student growth.
- Road Blocks – Students have Road Blocks pages in their student agendas. Teachers can track responsibility behaviors that may be causing problems in the classroom. When the third Road Block is documented, a student is referred to the counselor for a Road Block Check-in and follows up on short term goals to solve this problem. Click here to see the 2015-2016 sheet: ROAD BLOCK CHECK IN
- 5th Grade Visits – All incoming students visit the Academy for basic information and a tour of the school.
- Attendance Incentive by Class – Classes are rewarded with the attendance trophy and recognition for outstanding attendance each week.
- Data Nights – Data nights are held to share information on standardized testing used at the Academy and to teach parents how to interpret the data their child receives through this testing.
- Library Nook Set Up – A special area will be developed in our school library that highlights books available for students to check out in the areas of personal, social and academic development.
- Locker Clean Out– School Wide – School Wide locker clean outs will be conducted and students will be given an agenda for this so they know what to do and how to set up an organized locker space. Students will have a locker note template in which they can fill in what they need to take to each class. Click here to see the 2015-2016 Locker Set Up and Clean Out Guide: Locker Setup and Clean Out Guide
- Organization System – School Wide – All students at PMA will be expected to use the school-wide organization system for class. Students and teachers will be trained on this system during the first few days of school and periodic checks will be done. System will be set up in August. Random school-wide binder checks will be done for Spots and to give feedback to teachers for effort grades. Click here to see the 2015-2016 Binder Set Up and Clean Out Guide: Binder Setup and Check-In Guides
- Spring Parent Orientation – Parents are invited to the building the spring before their child starts at the Academy to learn about our structure, policies and scheduling process.
- Agenda Use Training – School Wide -Many students are trained by their teachers on how to effectively use their student agenda during the first few days of school.
- Student Success Plans – Student Success Plans are used at mid-term and quarter to help students identify areas of need, set goals, and get matched up with resources for success (This is optional for classroom teachers).
- Parent Meetings
- Teacher Consultation
In the works:
- Student/Parent Newsletter – Each quarter and on some special occasions, students will receive a school counseling newsletter.
- New Student Orientation and Quarterly Lunch – Students and families are invited to orientation a few weeks before they begin at the Academy. They receive their schedules, can tour the building and get other necessary info for a successful start. New student packets are given to students- including pre-survey, friend certificate, etc. At one lunch each quarter, all new students gather. Post test is given.
- Homework Club – This club may be available to help find the time and space to focus a bit longer and complete homework.
- Tutoring Program – A program where older students, teachers and community members can spend time at PMA tutoring students who are in need of some additional academic support.
See additional resources on our Pinterest page