SENIOR Resources Packet – SENIOR Resources
SENIOR Checklist – Senior Year Checklist
SENIOR Checklist video – https://youtu.be/-fteNpHR_bY
LearnMoreIndiana Next Magazine – LearnMoreNextMag2015-16
Your Guide to…
- Planning for your career
- Preparing for college
- Cutting the cost of college
Need help getting organized with your college applications?? Get organized by using the College Application Worksheet.
Senior Year – 1st Semester
- If necessary, take SAT or ACT for third time.
- Request school catalogs, applications, or information packets from the colleges, universities, technical schools, apprenticeship, or military division you are interested in.
- Attend the regional college fair to talk with representatives from different schools. Visit college representatives at SHS during lunch.
- Visit the colleges you are most interested in. Seniors may have two excused days for this purpose. The Guidance Office has more information.
- Attend SHS financial aid/college tips night to receive information and helpful tips on college life, studying, and help with the FAFSA form.
- Meet with a counselor for a senior interview.
- Complete all college applications. Some applications are available in the Guidance Department.
- The completed application, with application fee enclosed, must be given to your counselor.
- If you apply to a college online, you must print the Counselor Section and bring it to your counselor.
- Search for scholarships. Watch the deadlines on scholarships. Places to search for scholarships include the Guidance Department, parent employers, the Internet, and the college you plan to attend. A great website to check out is www.fastweb.net.
- Update record of activities and awards.
Senior Year – 2nd Semester
- Continue to search and apply for scholarships.
- Pick up the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) after January 1stand mail before March 10th. Attend College Goal Sunday in February to receive help with the form and for more information on financial aid. The FAFSA may be completed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Watch for the FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail 4 to 6 weeks later.
- Compare aid from the colleges and universities. Make your decision of where you want to attend. Send your deposit to the college of your choice.
- Return the award letter to the university you have chosen to attend. Contact other colleges and decline admission.
- Watch for other deadlines, i.e. housing, financial aid, etc.
- Upon successful completion of all requirements, attend SHS graduation.