classrooms, offices and hallways
- Maintain a clutter-free classroom or office. Many accidents are a result of tripping and falling. Clutter in closets and in classrooms is a major cause of these types of accidents.
- Do not use a swivel chair or a chair on wheels as a ladder. Better yet, ask a custodian to assist you when you need to use a ladder.
- Do not piggyback extension cords. Fire codes do not allow plugging an extension cord into another extension cord.
- Do not use frayed or worn out electrical cords of any type.
- Do not put tables, desks, or other objects on top of electrical cords.
- Look first when walking between students who are working on the floor.
- Do not compact trash in a waste basket with your hands or feet.
- Put heavy files in lower drawers.
- Open one file drawer at a time.
- Do not leave drawers open when you are done.
- Keep a flashlight nearby just in case.
- Do not block walkways with boxes or other materials.
- Be sure wet areas are mopped.
- Do not keep rugs or mats that are frayed or will not lie flat.
Wet, icy, or snowy conditions
- Wear shoes that provide good footing on slippery surfaces. You can always change shoes once inside. Leather soled shoes do not offer much protection on ice or snow.
- Walk on cleared and salted paths whenever possible.
- Allow more time to get to work and your work station.
- Don’t try to carry a heavy load when walking on slippery surfaces.
You never know when you might need to save a life! We have 63 AEDs in our district. Do you know where the AEDs are located in your building? Find them with the guide below.
Fire Extinguisher Information
Lifting and Carrying Safety
Slips, Trips and Falls
Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® Training Program