Key Points in our Appearance Guidelines
- Any apparel showing suggestive or profane pictures or wording; showing alcohol, tobacco, or drug-related sayings or pictures; promoting sex, violence or self-destructive behavior; or any item that defames the nation, state, community or an individual will not be permitted.
- All shorts/skirts must be at least near the knee. Athletic pants, shorts, and sweatpants are permitted as long as they are not unduly revealing (ripped above the knee or see-through).
- Clothing should be so constructed and worn in a manner that is not unduly revealing. Tops that may NOT be worn are tank tops, muscle shirts, tube tops, halter tops, backless shirts, tops with spaghetti straps, sheer or fishnet shirts, and cut-offs or other tops which show midriff (“crop tops”). Plunging necklines and excessive exposure is not acceptable.
- Clothing with group markings, same color clothing or accessories symbolizing gang membership will not be tolerated.
- Proper footwear must be worn at all times in the school buildings. Flip-flops and thong sandals are permitted, all footwear must have a hard sole.
- Metal studded clothing, spiked jewelry or chains are not acceptable. This includes body jewelry when worn in any pierced body part other than the ear.
- Zip up hoodies are permitted with hoods down at all times during the school day. Light jackets and windbreakers, pullovers and 3/4 zip outerwear is permitted.
- Sunglasses are not to be worn in the building.
- Hats, sweatbands, and bandanas are not to be worn in the building
- No undergarments should be visible (male or female) whether standing or sitting. Sagging pants or shorts are not permitted (waist line level at all times).
- Jeans and other pants must not be unduly revealing. This means that rips, tears, and frays are permitted, as long as they do not reveal skin through holes above the knee.
- Any new “fads” in clothing or anything not specifically covered in the above guidelines, which is considered inappropriate dress shall be dealt with at the discretion of an administrator/designee.
- Book bags will be permitted this school year.
Perry Township Schools seeks to encourage a safe and positive learning environment that focuses on academic achievement and a sense of community. In order to promote school safety, improve student performance and encourage positive self-esteem, and focus on academic achievement instead of socio-economic status, Perry Township Schools adopts the following student dress code for all students during the school day:
For All Perry Township Students:
- Hats, head coverings, sunglasses, curlers, or slippers are prohibited. Students with a bona fide religious objection may apply for an exemption.
- Clothing and jewelry, which includes depictions or symbols of the following, are prohibited:
a. sex or sexual innuendo
b. lewd, vulgar, indecent, or plainly offensive speech, including profanity
c. violence, destruction of property, or advocating the use of force
d. urging violation of the law or school regulations
e. alcohol, drugs, or tobacco
f. anything which substantially or materially disrupts the school environment
For Students in High School:
- Pants or skirts must be worn at the waist.
- Pants must be knee length or longer and have no overt or distracting holes, cuts, tears, or frays.
- Dresses and skirts must be near knee length.
- Student IDs should be worn and made visible at all times.
- Pajamas or similar nightwear is prohibited.
- All tops must have sleeves.